18 V.S.A. 9375(b)(2)(C) requires the Green Mountain Care Board (GMCB) to: “Annually review and approve the budget, consistent with available funds, of the Vermont Information Technology Leaders, Inc. (VITL). This review shall take into account VITL's responsibilities pursuant to section 9352 of this title and the availability of funds needed to support those responsibilities.”
The Board’s oversight is intended to provide strategic guidance and policy parameters within which the Administration, through DVHA, operationalizes that relationship, recognizing the interdependent roles of the Board and the Administration in managing the state’s relationship with VITL.
Relevant Statutes & Legislation
Guidance and Principles for Review
The Board reviews VITL’s budget at public Board meetings, soliciting public and stakeholder input at each step consistent with the Board’s standard practice, and culminating in a written decision. The Board's VITL budget review functions according to the guidance, below.
The guidance specifies the following principles for review:
- Transparency: The review process will be transparent.
- Public/Stakeholder Input: The review process will allow for stakeholder and public input.
- Alignment with HIE Plan Goals: The Board will review VITL’s budget in order to determine whether it reflects a strategy and priorities consistent with the State’s health care reform goals and the Health Information Technology (HIT) Plan. The Board will not direct the technical details of VITL’s work or the details of VITL’s contractual relationship with the State.
- Alignment with VITL/DVHA Process:
- The Board’s review process will be structured and timed in order to assist the Department of Vermont Health Access (DVHA) and VITL in negotiating timely, effective agreements each year.
- The process will result in Board decisions that are sufficiently clear to enable VITL to do its work and DVHA to support that work without requiring repeated clarification or intervention by the Board.
The Board also provides guidance related to the VHIE Connectivity Criteria VITL is required to propose pursuant to 18 V.S.A. § 9352(i)(2). Since 2018, the Connectivity Criteria have been reviewed and approved concurrently with the Board's review of Vermont's Health Information Exchange Plan (HIE Plan). See the HIE Plan and Connectivity Criteria page of the GMCB website for more information.
FY2023 VITL Budget (July 1, 2022-June 30,2023)
- VITL FY2023 Budget Materials (submitted May 24, 2022)
- VITL FY2023 Budget Presentation and FY2022 Quarterly Update (submitted June 1, 2022)
- VITL FY2023 Budget Order (issued July 8, 2022)
FY2023 Quarterly Reports
November 2022: Report
For past VITL budget materials and Board decisions, see VITL Oversight Archive.